Exfoliate Yo’ Self | DIY Coffee Pumpkin Pie Scrub
You know the pumpkin pie season is upon us when you walk into Trader Joe’s or your local market and unlikely foods have been doused in pumpkin – yes, even kale chips. In the coming weeks, there’s probably going to be a lot of extra pumpkin sitting around your home, between Jack-O-Lanterns and pumpkin pies, so why not save 1 tablespoon of pumpkin goodness from entering your mouth and take a little time out for yourself instead.
Finding simple ways to ground + soothe is the key to gliding through these next couple of months. This coffee-pumpkin pie body scrub is packed with potent ingredients to help moisturize + rejuvenate your dry and sleepy skin and invigorate + enliven your mood. During the dry fall months, taking the extra time to exfoliate the dead cells from the top layer of your skin before slathering on lotion helps to lock in moisture and penetrate the skin deeper and more effectively. Plus, it’ll leave you smelling sweeter than a slice of pumpkin pie.
INGREDIENTS AND THEIR BENEFITS:
- COFFEE GROUNDS // Reduce redness and inflammation of skin and act as a natural skin exfoliant, which clears away dead skin cells, brightens dull skin and reduces cellulite!
- RAW TURBINADO SUGAR // Excellent exfoliant, increasing cell-rejuvenation and contains antioxidant properties that help protect against free radicals. Glycolic acid, which is often used in facials and skin peels, is naturally found in Turbinado sugar. It helps to effectively remove dead skin cells and reduce fine lines.
- COCONUT OIL // Moisturizes skin and protects from UV damage. It’s jam-packed with Vitamin E to help prevent wrinkles and premature aging.
- PUMPKIN // Packed with Vitamin C, which tones skin, promotes elasticity, and helps protect skin from free radicals in the air. It also brightens dull skin cells and is loaded with zinc, which helps soothe, protect and rejuvenate the collagen in skin.
- CINNAMON ESSENTIAL OIL // This acts as an astringent for the skin by reducing pores and pulling the skin tight. Its antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties make it a skin friend! And, believe it or not, cinnamon is also an anti-depressant, so it makes for a good companion this time of year.
- CLOVE ESSENTIAL OIL // Contains potent anti-aging properties as it rejuvenates and stimulates dead and dry skin by bringing blood flow to unhealthy skin. It also acts as a pain and stress-reliever, too!
- ORANGE ESSENTIAL OIL // Alleviates anxiety, anger and stress. It also helps soothe skin and calm acne and break-outs with its antibacterial properties.
COFFEE PUMPKIN-PIE BODY SCRUB
makes 2-3 treatments
(depending on how much you lose while slathering + rubbing on your skin)
- 7 tbsp coffee grounds
- 2 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 1 tbsp of organic pumpkin pureé
- 1 tsp of organic raw turbinado sugar
- 3 drops of organic cinnamon essential oil
- 3 drops of organic clove essential oil
- 3 drops of organic orange essential oil. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. While standing in the shower, slather on your body and rub into skin to exfoliate. Allow ingredients to soak into skin for 7-10 minutes. Rinse and shower! If there is any left over, store in an air tight container and use again and again.
- **As with anything you’re putting on your skin, do a small patch test first to make sure all ingredients agree with your body.**